Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Week in Seven Words #529

This covers the week of 3/8/20 - 3/14/20.

cancellations
In one day, most of my calendar evaporates. One cancellation after another. Businesses close. Classes are cut short.

elsewhere
I ask her why she's looking through Zillow. "Escapism," she says.

reportedly
Mixed messages from politicians, pundits, health experts. I wonder if I'm underestimating the seriousness of this virus. Or maybe it hasn't fully sunk in that we're in deeply unusual circumstances and nobody knows how any of this will turn out.

restlessly
Distracted during synagogue services, my eyes and mind roaming the room. 

speculations
We're in a building that tomorrow we won't be able to enter. We talk about the virus and how people think it spreads. We have little idea of what we're talking about. Sharing things we've heard on the news produces a mixed effect: heightened anxiety combined with the relief of unburdening some of our anxieties.

stockpile
The supermarket is clotted with thick lines. People are stocking up.

strangeness
By this point, I'm used to working from home. But it's not the same now. There's an intensified uncertainty and a constriction. The city where I live has become much less familiar.