Saturday, July 17, 2010

Week in Seven Words #24

consistency
I can count on this restaurant to provide the right kind of avocado - not too mushy or too hard, and embedded in the chewy seaweed and sticky white rice of a delectable sushi roll.

cubes
A plate of juicy pineapple - fat glistening cubes of pineapple - by the window fan in the warm room.

dangling
I don't focus enough on my words and the implications of my work; I attend too closely to the expressions of the people in the audience. Their faces are often inscrutable; from time to time they nod, quirk an eyebrow, smile just a little. Though it's important to keep one's audience in mind during a talk I think I take it just a little too far, searching their faces for the most miniscule glimpse of their true thoughts.

mellow
Leaning against the train window, eyes half-closed, with the sun setting at my left ear.

procrastination
It stems in large part from a fear of failure.

puzzlement
A camp counselor asks a reasonable question: "Why did you touch the waffle-maker? You know it's hot!"

tickled
She picks a few fuzzy feathery pink flowers from a tree and instructs me to tuck them into my pocket so that my hands will be free when we play catch.

7 comments:

Crystal Calliope said...

I absolutely love this entry. You're such a talented writer, and your way with words reminds me not to be so lazy with my own. Thank you for sharing. Also, a good Avacado is a thing of beauty ;)

You're linked to on my new layout- do you mind? I wanted to do something along the lines of seven words, while giving kudos to your fabulous idea. I hope you like it.
-C

John Hayes said...

"procrastination" is so true--as a chronic procrastinator myself, it's good to be reminded of this. Regarding "puzzlement"--I remember getting a bad burn from touching an iron when I was very young. My mother's reaction was much like the camp counselor's; perhaps the answer is--"I didn't know what 'hot' felt like." Interesting & illuminating as always.

HKatz said...

Thank you for sharing. Also, a good Avacado is a thing of beauty
A good avocado is hard to find and is a thing of beauty when found. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words; I also like the new layout of your blog.

My mother's reaction was much like the camp counselor's; perhaps the answer is--"I didn't know what 'hot' felt like."
Reminds me of when I was a young kid, and how I touched the tea kettle on the stove, even though I was warned away from it. It was simple curiosity - as you say, I wanted to know what 'hot' felt like. Thanks for stopping by!

naida said...

Wonderful, I especially liked mellow and cubes.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

HKatz said...

The cubes were delicious; thanks for stopping by and savoring a bit of it too.

Relyn said...

Puzzlement makes me laugh. I teach seven and eight year olds and I often laugh at their confounded parents and teachers who just don't understand why the child would touch the waffle-maker. I grin and think, "Knowing it's hot is different from knowing that it is hot." Some things you just have to discover for yourself. Yes? We don't actually want to quell that sort of curiousity in our young, do we? That's how we got to the moon.

HKatz said...

Some things you just have to discover for yourself. Yes? We don't actually want to quell that sort of curiousity in our young, do we? That's how we got to the moon.

I'm so glad you say that! Though it's important to protect kids, we can't swaddle them up to the point where they feel nothing and want to learn about nothing, where they can't explore the world. Thanks for commenting.