Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Week in Seven Words #331

cleanup
Dominos and Pictionary cards scattered on a dusty floor.

euphony
She has a knack for finding a frayed nerve ending and plucking at it. But this is one of the moments when she's reassuring, and I feel grateful for that.

examine
The doctor has a quirky sense of humor, sometimes hard to read, which I like except for the occasional moment when I need to know if he means his advice seriously. Other points in his favor - he keeps his kids' drawings in a stack on his desk, and he can find a vein in my arm to draw blood from.

intention
A wedding party takes photos in front of a towering mausoleum where a husband and wife are entombed.

introduction
The dog smashes the puddle, then waits for the reflected trees and buildings to re-form around him.

standpoint
A statue of Joan of Arc on horseback. From behind, it looks like she's marching forward unopposed. At another angle, she's preparing to go down with a fight. A third angle shows her watchful and issuing a warning.

tender
He looks a little hurt, when I joke that his mom needs an hour of solitary quiet.

3 comments:

Roderick Robinson said...

From a very early age - I won't say back in the womb because that's too anatomical; way back, then - I ensured I could distinguish between euphony and euphemism. I knew I would need both. And so it turned out although the latter became far more important than the former. Almost certainly because there is far less euphony in the world than there are euphemisms. (A clever sentence I'm sure you'll agree; I avoided the great "fewer" trap.)

Each week in The Guardian colour mag celebs are asked (inter alia) which word they like; many cite words containing the letter l. Lobelia is good because it has two. I think we can say that letter l promotes euphony. Good for the Welsh too; Llanelltyd is a town in Wales.

Euphemisms are for people who cannot face up to what they believe is the excessive reality of certain words. In their world nobody dies, many pass on. Some are even translated into glory which sounds like a noisy way to go. Quite quickly euphemisms become clichés and my trade encouraged me to think of clichés as STDs in literary form. Martin Amis called his last collection of essays The War Against Cliché; sounds like a good starting point.

Brian Joseph said...

I really like what you wrote for "entombed." Is it based upon a real picture that was taken at a wedding? The image appeals to my liking for dark but moving symbolism.

HKatz said...

@ Roderick - This line especially is a good one: "Some are even translated into glory which sounds like a noisy way to go."

@ Brian - It's something I saw on a walk. (I'm months behind on these weeks in seven words, so this was during warmer weather.)