Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Why my digital avatar is a tree

P1050256

Trees might not appear to move or change much, but they're teeming with life, inside and out, and changing all the time. Sometimes in obvious ways, other times in secret - the roots spreading underground, the life circulating under the stiff bark.

The roots can penetrate deeper and travel wider than expected, picking their way through soil and rocks, away from the light.

At the same time they spread towards the light.

They are steady and can possess great resilience. They might take on surprising forms, and reveal their beauty and usefulness in unexpected ways.

They are always dancing.

P1050376

Why did I post this today? It's Tu B'Shevat, the New Year for trees in Judaism.

5 comments:

Brian Joseph said...

I agree that a tree is a fine Avatar to have for all the reasons that you mention.

I am now thinking about just how important and ubiquitous the relationship between humans and trees is.

HKatz said...

Thanks, Brian.

And yes, there's a lot to think about when it comes to the ties between people and trees. Along similar lines, I'm reading a book now called The Botany of Desire that looks at how four species of plants changed due to different demands of human culture. So far a very interesting book.

The Bookworm said...

How lovely and well said. This reminds me of the quote about 'the great oak was once a little nut that held its ground'.
Happy weekend.

HKatz said...

I like that quote :)

Relyn Lawson said...

I, too, love trees. I also really enjoy knowing the thoughts behind the choices. I have a picture in my head of you, of your face, but it is formed by your words, what you choose to share, and by an image of trees. I think that when you don't show your face, you leave more to the imagination. I like that.




But, I do wonder what you look like.