Friday, March 2, 2012

Week in Seven Words #108

banality
Online dating has been mostly a bore so far. When you meet people in person you experience them as the complex 3D creatures they are, and not as small photos supplemented with the same descriptions over and over - "intelligent, fun-loving, one-of-a-kind" - like personal ads in a Lake Wobegon newspaper.

fulcrum
Time has to be balanced in your mind so that you don't tip too much into the future or sink too frequently into the past.

indurated
In the night my thoughts are cold black diamonds.

reaching
I talk into the phone, knowing that he's there at the other end even though I can't hear him.

second-rate
Sometimes you look back on your week to find that one of your prominent memories involves a pitched battle with a backed-up toilet. Oh well.

slipping
When I'm feeling low about my writing I think of the words as weak magnets sliding down the front of a fridge.

sussing
At the library I spot a DVD Whisperer. He caresses their spines and speaks to each one - "Should I watch you tonight? Or you?" - then cocks his head and listens for the answer.

7 comments:

naida said...

lol about sussing, that makes me wonder ;P
Great week in words like always, I love what you've done with 'fulcrum'
enjoy your weekend :)

John Hayes said...

Yes, a great sequence of words as Nadia says. I like the images in "indurated" & "slipping" very much. "Banality" is interesting to me as a relatively newly single person at a rather awkward time in life to be such. My dear friend L.E. Leone, whom you know from her poems on RFB, went thru a long spate of online dating & at the time claimed it was the "only" way to date anymore. Interestingly, when she finally ended up in a relationship it was with someone she met in "real life." For myself--& this may be my age--I can't imagine it any other way.

Nan said...

wow, that library guy is pretty interesting. Don't think I'd date him. :<) Actually, if I were young and in a city, I'd probably never date anyone. The magnets was brilliant.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent selection, sussing certainly makes me wonder about that person....

Sam (Tiny Library) said...

Your indurated line is like a poem :)

HKatz said...

@ Naida - it made me wonder too. I'd like to think of him (whoever he is) as a harmless eccentric :)

@ John - interesting, I know people who've started good relationships after meeting people online. So far it's been a drag compared to meeting people in person from the start, but we'll see.

@ Nan - glad you liked the magnets :)

@ Juliet - mild eccentricity is all, I hope

@ Sam - thanks!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts.

Relyn said...

sussing and second-rate make me laugh