Sunday, December 18, 2011

Week in Seven Words #98

antique
It's an older part of the city, and it's nearly empty. I like it that way - quiet with cobblestone paths, grass, old bridges over dried-up streams, old brick homes topped with ornate weathervanes, gardens abandoned in winter, their fountains dry.

burger
It comes on a soft bun with dark green lettuce, raw onion, salsa, guacamole, and spicy chipotle sauce. They call it the El Mariachi burger. It's a good burger.

distinctive
80s teen movie: stale classrooms, social misfits, angst, puffy hair, and Molly Ringwald.

harmonic
Different authors writing on completely different topics can have a beautiful resonance in one's mind. While picking over a creative problem, I come across an essay on Aldous Huxley by the departed Christopher Hitchens and some wonderful passages from May Sarton's Journal of a Solitude, and they sound an intriguing chord in my thoughts.

jitterbug
At the park I follow a faint thread of music and find two pairs of swing dancers by the fountain.

now
I'm starting to really understand what a precious gift this time is. So much is up in the air, but it's a beautiful opportunity nonetheless. I'll kick myself if I miss out on it and don't do what I'm called to do at the moment.

unsuited
At the supermarket it's non-stop holiday jingles. And I want to know why so many of the recent recordings are sung in a breathy melodramatic quaver. It's a holiday jingle. Sleigh bells ring-ting-tingling should hopefully not evoke emotional torment.

6 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

unsuited made me laugh, I totally agree, but so many of the festive songs have been recorded so many times there's maybe a cerative impulse to do something entirely different with them!

naida said...

ahhh...The Breakfast Club is one my fav 80's films :)
I like harmonic very much.

And I do agree with 'unsuited', a friend and I were having that same conversation recently. We heard a Christmas carol sung in that 'breathy melodramatic' way....lol...'walking in a winter wonder laaaaaand'....jeeze the woman singing sounded like she was in pain.

bermudaonion said...

What a fun way to recap your week!

John Hayes said...

Harmonic is so true, & such a perfect use of the word! Yes, where did this fad of breathy, melodramatic singing come from?

HKatz said...

but so many of the festive songs have been recorded so many times there's maybe a cerative impulse to do something entirely different with them!
I guess that's possible.

Harmonic is so true, & such a perfect use of the word!
Thanks! It was a beautiful moment in my reading.

What a fun way to recap your week!

Certainly fun, yes!

'walking in a winter wonder laaaaaand'....jeeze the woman singing sounded like she was in pain.
Yes exactly - like they're in agony. And I also remember liking The Breakfast Club when I saw it years ago.

Thanks for stopping by!

Relyn said...

distinctive
I can think of several movies this could be. Each of them take me back.