Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Week in Seven Words #77

exhaust
Each car streams the heat from its exhaust pipe across my shins.

frangible
Time crumbles away in sweat, sleeplessness, and apathy.

heatwave
The air presses down like an iron, smoothing my clothes flat onto my skin.

kinetic
She makes her day sound exciting, each detail a delight, and something new to learn at every ordinary place she visits.

leadlight
The leaves look like pieces of green stained glass. It's reassuring to see that even when the heat is brutal and they're scorched, they can still endure beautifully.

nitpicky
He argues into his cell phone, loudly and unselfconsciously, about the precise number of tissues he used the night before to blow his nose.

pillbug
There's a little cell inside me, accessed by a hatch, and sometimes I disappear into it, curling up like a pillbug.

8 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

kinetic is wonderful! And doesn't a heatwave make exhaust much worse?

naida said...

lol about nitpicky and very creative with pillbug!

John Hayes said...

With the exception of kinetic, these all very much convey heat wave--stay cool if possible!

Elisheva said...

our 77 is also perfect! Without wanting or trying to label this, I feel like these are modern urban haiku, They certainly offer a similar essence of being. Wonderful x

Elisheva said...

That should be Your 77 at the top there, so as not to say I am claiming, And labeling your work; )

HKatz said...

kinetic is wonderful! And doesn't a heatwave make exhaust much worse?
Thanks; and yes, the exhaust is terrible, but the air does shimmer prettily sometimes so at least there's that interesting visual.

lol about nitpicky and very creative with pillbug!
Thanks - sometimes I go into pillbug mode. Nitpicky just made me laugh. I've heard people talk loudly about personal things on their cellphone before, but never about something so ridiculous, and in such a serious way.

With the exception of kinetic, these all very much convey heat wave--stay cool if possible!
Thanks, I'll try to.

our 77 is also perfect! Without wanting or trying to label this, I feel like these are modern urban haiku, They certainly offer a similar essence of being. Wonderful x
I like your interpretation - it's interesting thinking of them as little urban poems.

Thanks for commenting :)

Relyn said...

Your kinetic friend is my kind of girl. Life is 85% about attitude after all. And nipicky - killing me. I am snorting with laughter and people are looking at me wondering what in the heck is so funny.

HKatz said...

Life is 85% about attitude after all.
I'm slowly learning that this really is the case. Thanks for commenting :)