Sunday, November 14, 2010

Week in Seven Words #41

breath
I love these mellow gold mornings, when I go outdoors and the air has a bite to it, and the sun is out, and the trees shine with autumn. It seems like the most uncomplicated part of the day; everything is fresh and new. I'm not yet indoors somewhere chipping away at a pile of work. It's just me, my feet, my eyes, my roving mind, and I love taking it in - even if it's a short walk it feels like it takes up more space in time.

carmine
At sunset there is wine mixed into the waters of the estuary. The skies fade in a stupor.

marrowy
Good conversation is nourishing. Not just the usual small talk or discussion of minor practicalities, but meaty rambling conversation on all sorts of topics, over a hearty lunch - a break in the day that stirs up the mind and soul.

pigeon
Why peck at crumbs when I can feast?

sepia
She poses in plaid and jeans on a dusky field, her face framed with faded yellow hair.

spirited
In the back room of a storybook house that plays hide and seek among some trees, we talk about stories and poems. In the room the furniture is a hodgepodge of easy chairs, old sofas, and folding chairs that squeak beneath us as we lean forward and make our points; the light is low and warm, and a moth of some sort bangs around against the ceiling before crawling in shame-faced fashion between couch cushions.

swish
I amuse myself thinking of the trees as paintbrushes that have been swirled around in the brown, murky water of the pond.

8 comments:

Lucy said...

I rather like sepia, but I love them all, as usual. The way they are more or less decontextualised, which means having to guess or imagine what they fit into, I'm sure adds to the richness of reading them. Your life seems so full of discretely intense experiences! There's no other blog I go to which quite does this like this.

patteran said...

Carmine - a brilliant two sentence depiction. A tiny, self-contained poem.

John Hayes said...

"carmine" is a true poetic image in all the best senses--I agree completely with patteran. I also was quite taken by "pigeon" & "swish," but there's something to savor in each.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I agree with previous comments about carmine, but I love breath, it so much sums up this time of year for me and I like marrowy too

naida said...

I really like the image you create with 'carmine'.
And 'pigeon'...so true :)


http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Relyn said...

Swish made me laugh. I love the ways that you amuse yourself. I long to join you for a nice long chat in that storybook house.

Crystal Calliope said...

A hearty meal and meaty talk on after a mellow gold morning. Sounds really lovely.

I get a really distinct, dreamy image from Sepia- her hair looks like a halo.

HKatz said...

The way they are more or less decontextualised, which means having to guess or imagine what they fit into
I'm interested to see what readers make of that; thank you as always for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts.

Carmine - a brilliant two sentence depiction. A tiny, self-contained poem.
Thanks! I'm glad some of these do come across as stand-alone poems.

I also was quite taken by "pigeon" & "swish," but there's something to savor in each.
Thanks, John. For any given week there are always images that seem to be more striking then others but I hope that each of them still contains something worth reading.

I really like the image you create with 'carmine'.
And 'pigeon'...so true :)

Yes, enough of being a pigeon :)

I long to join you for a nice long chat in that storybook house.
I wish you could too - you would love that house.

but I love breath, it so much sums up this time of year for me and I like marrowy too
Thanks! Most of the time if you ask me what my favorite season is, I'll say autumn.

I get a really distinct, dreamy image from Sepia- her hair looks like a halo.
It was more like a pillowy cloud :)

Thanks everyone for stopping by.