Sunday, October 10, 2010

Week in Seven Words #36

cerulean
The sky is a crisp blue, the air is clear and cool, leaves crackle across the cobbled paths; I sit on a low stone ledge with a notebook on my lap and a mind full of contented thoughts.

crumble
He holds my idea like a leaf between his forefinger and thumb and lifts it up to the light. It looks papery and dry. He rubs his fingers together, and it disintegrates slowly.

delay
Life can feel like a game of Tetris; if I get too distracted or take too long dealing with any one thing, every obligation, burden, assignment, and duty just piles up in weird insurmountable towers.

lighten
It's worth it, to put the book aside, the article, whatever it is that's due soon and demanding time, and just sit and talk to good people; one of them in particular, known mainly for his jokes, shares a beautiful serious story with me.

morose
Autumn mutters to herself and shakes raindrops out of her rags.

nocturnal
I wake up in the middle of the night, strangely keyed up and unwilling to turn over and try to sleep again. Like a mouse scrabbling around in the dark, fixing up her nest, I spend a couple of hours sorting the piles of paper on and around my desk, slotting them into folders, drawers and piles, throwing some out, tidying them into short neat stacks.

styrofoam
As the silence stretches on, I feel the need to supply conversational filler. It's like stuffing styrofoam chips into a shipping box; if I leave too much space unfilled, the fragile object inside will break.

9 comments:

m. heart said...

Delay, yes...I can relate to that.

naida said...

I like the idea of lighten and the imagery you create with morose.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Lucy said...

You approach things with such grace and genuine humility. I admire, and rather envy, you ability to turn what is clearly a busy and demanding life into such matter for creativity, rather than letting it drain you.

Crystal Calliope said...

I love everything about this post. Cerulean is the best sounding color, isn't it. Autumn wringing out her rags- lovely image.

John Hayes said...

I agree with Crystal Calliope: "morose" is a very beautiful image, one that I'll certainly remember. The idea as dry leaf is also very memorable.

Ciara said...

LOVE 'morose' and nocturnal. Brilliant!

HKatz said...

Thanks for stopping by and commenting, everyone.

Delay, yes...I can relate to that.
Life to a Tetris soundtrack :)

I like the idea of lighten and the imagery you create with morose.
Thanks! Lighten makes life better.

to turn what is clearly a busy and demanding life into such matter for creativity, rather than letting it drain you.
Thank you. This blog is part of that - of not letting the demands feel too draining. Writing these every week is one thing that helps me keep humor, perspective and creativity.

I love everything about this post. Cerulean is the best sounding color, isn't it.
Thanks, Crystal, I'm glad you enjoyed. And cerulean is gorgeous (of all the colors, I think blue is my favorite, in all its different shades).

"morose" is a very beautiful image, one that I'll certainly remember. The idea as dry leaf is also very memorable.
I'm glad you'll remember it and that it came across sharply. And yes, my idea did look and feel like a crumbling leaf, it was disheartening to watch... Thanks for sharing your impressions.

LOVE 'morose' and nocturnal. Brilliant!
Thanks! Nocturnal actually makes me giggle at myself :)

Relyn said...

I think this might be your most powerful, evocative collection yet. I don't even know what to say. Every word is perfection. And tetris - oh that is such a perfect description of my life just now.

HKatz said...

Thanks, Relyn! (and I hope your Tetris-life stays on one of the more manageable levels)