Saturday, August 28, 2010

Week in Seven Words #30

connection
She calls three times before her flight, clinging to a voice she loves.

cordial
Three women, a long afternoon lunch, and a breeze gliding between the balcony and the front door.

extraterrestrial
Flowers that seem ordinary and pretty during the day acquire a strange purple glow beneath the street lamps at night.

pinballs
My thoughts ping around every which way - bouncing off my cerebellum and zinging around my limbic system - and I make the mistake of talking in the midst of this scattered mental state. Meaningless pings and thunks come out of my mouth, and I hear myself and think, "Who is this ninny, and why does she have my voice?"

predatory
Every so often I get up and pace in a semi-circle in front of the computer; it stares blandly back at me, displaying the little graphs, text boxes, screen captures and clipart tableaux. I bend forward peering at it all with narrowed eyes and wondering what I should pounce on next.

riven
On the one hand I have a wrenching stomachache. On the other hand I bump into not one, but two people whom I haven't seen in a while. So I live in a split reality - a part of me is caught up in pleasant conversation, while another part is sobbing quietly to itself, wanting its hot tea and corner-of-the-couch and blanket.

tundra
There's a separate climate zone in the back of the fridge, where the temperatures have dipped and turned a yogurt cup into a popsicle, a handful of radishes into nuggets of ice, and the surface of the humous into a miniature ice-skating rink, smooth and crystalline.

6 comments:

naida said...

I really like connection, how sweet.
And I can very much relate to pinballs...lol.
Fantastic imagery for tundra.
Great post!

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

Lucy said...

Drat those radishes, there's nothing you can do with them then is there? It always seems to be the back shelf at the top, I try to reserve it for butter and other things where it doesn't matter if they freeze and thaw a bit... I suppose that's why they put the salad compartment at the bottom front.

Pinballs, oh yes, I've been there often, and I do love cordial, because it's such a lovely word and I imagine you drinking some kind of cordial too, and perhaps even that one of your ladies who lunched might have been called Cordelia.

Last week's set were great too, very exploratory, and thanks for the What Should I Read tip, it sounds like it could be a bit compelling!

John Hayes said...

Isn't it strange that refrigerators can have "micro-climates?" "Riven" & "Pinballs" are ones we've all experienced in some similar way--& I really found "Predatory" quite droll. Sorry for getting to these so late this week!

Relyn said...

Hey, I'm back. Actually, I'd like to "talk" to you in person. My email is on my profile page. Would you be willing to email me? I'd sure appreciate it.

Crafty Green Poet said...

riven captures a particular experience very well, it is astonishing how we can sometimes ignore serious pain and continue on with life....

I particualrly like predator too...

HKatz said...

I really like connection, how sweet... Fantastic imagery for tundra.
Thanks!

and I do love cordial, because it's such a lovely word and I imagine you drinking some kind of cordial too, and perhaps even that one of your ladies who lunched might have been called Cordelia.
This made me laugh. Also It's funny but one of them does have a name that starts with C, and it's a name that I think of as more old-fashioned (but not Cordelia...)

Isn't it strange that refrigerators can have "micro-climates?
It is. And I fail to organize things accordingly...

Would you be willing to email me? I'd sure appreciate it.
Left you a blog comment too :) I couldn't find your email, but mine is in the 'about me' section, so yes, please write me an email (but I don't know what my internet connection will be like in the coming week; so if you don't hear back from me quickly that's the reason).

it is astonishing how we can sometimes ignore serious pain and continue on with life....
I know, makes me wonder how the brain sorts it out.

Thanks for commenting; I'm glad you all enjoyed.