Saturday, July 3, 2010

Week in Seven Words #22

absorption
The intense focus of two dogs discovering a third. The two immediately strain at their leashes and begin to sniff; one of them attends to the third dog's face, the other delicately samples the hindquarters.

crotchety
My foot is slightly swollen and pained. It reminds me of a grumpy companion on a road trip, complaining about distances, uncomfortable car seats, and slight jolts along the way.

currency
The cashier is incredulous when a customer pays her in dollar coins; she at first thinks they're fake, like amusement park tokens. She's new to this country, but thought she'd learned everything about the money; she tells another cashier that a trip to the mint is in order.

elusive
The young child's mind is good at eluding experiments that try to tap into the earliest years of language use; a researcher can feel like a naturalist crouched in a tangle of vines and shrubs, hoping for a chance to cast a net at a sly and mysterious creature.

haft
In some other world, a character I've become acquainted with holds her sword at the ready.

nice
She's someone who's genuinely nice. I don't mean that in the bland way in which 'nice' may be used, when you can't think of a stronger or more interesting quality. She is a fundamentally nice person, and it's a pleasure to be in her company.

rudder
I think I have a firm grasp on the story, but the draft I'm working on drifts off course, and not in a mostly delightful or illuminating way. But at least I get some insights into the characters from this unexpected deviation, along with some words that I'd like to keep working with.

9 comments:

m. heart said...

Funny what a difference there can be between, "nice" and "nice."

I sometimes have a crotchety shoulder to keep me company!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Excellent post, i like how the pieces together add up to a real insight into the week.

I particularly like your description of the dogs

Lucy said...

'haft' is mysterious and interesting...

naida said...

Great week in words post as always.
Absorption immediately reminded me of my dog during his doggie playdates.

http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/

John Hayes said...

Delightful as always--I was struck by "rudder" in that so much of fiction writing seems to be about holding onto the rudder & so much of poetry seems to be about letting go of same. Some truth in that, right? The images in "crotchety" & "elusive" are also wonderful.

HKatz said...

Funny what a difference there can be between, "nice" and "nice."
And sometimes it can all depend on a slight inflection in one's tone.

Excellent post, i like how the pieces together add up to a real insight into the week.
Thank you (and the dogs were fun to observe)

'haft' is mysterious and interesting...
Much like the character that inspired it.

Absorption immediately reminded me of my dog during his doggie playdates.
I didn't know that dogs went on play dates :) Aside from bumping into other dogs in the park.

Delightful as always--I was struck by "rudder" in that so much of fiction writing seems to be about holding onto the rudder & so much of poetry seems to be about letting go of same.
Thank you - and with fiction it depends too; sometimes when you let go the characters take you in interesting and delightful directions (while other times they just fall flat on their face or go off a cliff...)

Relyn said...

You remind me of how much I hate that nice has become an insipid word. Being truly nice is a gift and a skill - and often really hard work. It deserves to be a highly respected adjective. Yes?

Relyn said...

One more thing... I hope your foot is healing and is in a far more amiable state of mind.

HKatz said...

It deserves to be a highly respected adjective. Yes?

I enjoy your insightful comments :) People often place emphasis only on flashier qualities (of body and mind), while kindness and niceness tend to be seen as weaker, milkier traits (sort of the best things someone can be stuck with if they don't have truly captivating qualities); the same goes for genuine humility. But they're so important and do require work, patience and strength to cultivate and maintain.

Who knows, maybe part of the strength of these traits (and the people possessing them) lies in their ability to persist and work their beneficial power in spite of being undervalued.

(And thank you, the foot's plodding along and doing better, I think.)